Tuesday, September 11, 2007

First few days of Freshers Week

First few days of Fresher’s Week

HELLO AGAIN!

I know you are all anxious to hear how this week has been going and how I am settling into my new home in Edinburgh. Well, adaptation has relatively painless and shockingly well organized. I am loving my new dorm room as well as the people around me.

Everyone here is so well dressed. I have been to going to breakfast expecting to see hoards of sluggish, weary-faced freshman, but instead have seen tidy ladies and gents, the former with make-up already applied-- a far contrast from what goes on at my home institution. There are so many English people in my dorm. All of them are so proper, and even send text messages in a genteel fashion, i.e. “When is one going to breakfast”. I have noticed a slight disconnect between the personalities of the ‘freshers’ and that of the UC Students (including me). It is quite obvious that these first-years have not had even the slightest taste of what life is like on their own, and therein lies the disconnect.

As I sit here now, I have a panoramic view of the city and its neighboring landscape; the sight is breathtaking. Acres of heath embrace fields of green, which in turn but up against the city and university limits, surrounding its many spires and flats. It really is an amazing city. Now that I have had ample time to assess the many things there are to do here, I cannot decide where to go next. The nightlife here is also pretty good. There are some clubs to dance at, as well as some pubs to hang out at.

Just now I registered for my classes and I am enrolled in: Macroeconomics, Plant Physiology, and The Structure and Function of Proteins. I am really looking forward to starting my ‘programme of study’ and begin to learn from some of the UK’s most highly regarded professors. There is so much to do this week (freshers week) to prepare for the upcoming months. I still have to register with the health center and the student union.

The view out my window is absolutely astounding. To the left there is Arthur’s Seat, the peak of gorgeous Holyrood Park. In the middle is Duddingston Loch, a fairly sizeable lake. To top it off, there is an extraordinary golf course just meters from my room-- the 17th green is right beneath me!

I am having a great time here... Check back soon more another update!

2 comments:

Connie said...

how many squeezed into that phone booth???

xo

julia said...

i wanted to watch cash cab last night, but you weren't here, and it just wouldn't have been the same.

love you.