Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Fresher's Ball, Wine, Class, and Rugby


Why is it so bright out? It is the middle of September and just two days after a night at -1°C, it is now a comfortable 14°C and bright. I sit now writing at a jam-packed SUBWAY shop, looking out the window at a cobblestone sidewalk flooded with a mix of businessmen, tourists, and locals. I think I am finally starting to find my place here in Edinburgh..

First, let me tell you about my weekend. During the day on Saturday (Sept 15) I sat at my desk, glued to my computer, watching college football on a Slingbox. The simple fact that I can get American TV on my computer over 5000 miles away is pretty neat. Saturday night was Fresher’s Ball. This was a HUGE event that consisted of thousands of black-tie clad freshman dancing around to everything from Ceilidh to Panic! at the Disco. It was a very fun night, apart from the waiting in line for over an hour to get in (and we got there at 8:30!)

Sunday (Sept 16) was a bit more laid back. I watched the 49ers game on the Slingbox with my friend Joey, but luckily I was not able to catch the Chargers get smoked by the New England Patriots :-(. The rest of the day was spent hanging out with my American buddies at the student union while watching some rugby on the tube.

Monday (Sept 17) wasn’t very eventful until the evening when I went wine-tasting with some friends. The event was very nice and cost only £5. After starting off with some sparkling wine, we moved onto some whites (including a riesling) and then to reds (including a dreadful pinot).. We talked about the movie Sideways and wanted to rent it after the event, but blockbuster was closed!

Yesterday (Sept 18) was a very exciting day; it was the first day of class! At 10AM I went to my first lecture: Microeconomics. We got right into the material and discussed the principles of uncertainty, which has the bulk of its roots in the statistical study of probability, i.e. is it worth it to buy insurance. The lecture was quite interesting, but I was disappointed to find out that the tutorial times available conflicted with my schedule. After sending a ‘I like your class but...’ type of letter to the economics department, I managed to get a tutorial time on wednesday. I hope the rest of my classes go smoothly, as I still have Structure and Functions of Proteins and Plant Physiology on Thursday.

On Tuesday evening I made one of the most last-minute decisions of my life: to go see a rugby game. This wasn’t just any rugby match; it was the Rugby World Cup! I took the bus with my friend Joey and picked up some scalped tickets in order to see the match. Scotland kicked Romania’s butt! Seemingly every other minute there would be a roar in the crowd and a Scot scoring a try (rugby equivalent of touchdown). I really do enjoy the sport of rugby because it is a fast-paced, almost non-stop version of American Football. I hope I get to see another match-- maybe Univ. of Edinburgh Versus...

The week has been a pleasant one, filled with new experiences and fun people. I am looking forward to what the next few months have to offer!

5 comments:

julia said...

you're so lucky you missed the chargers game...but we did miss having you at our little game viewing party. more updates on classes, please!

Bree F. said...

i second that, the chargers game was miserable! =(

i love that you went to a rugby game at the last minute - that's fantastic! i've been to a couple games here at cal and i love it. sooo jealous, it sounds like you're having such a great time! =)

Barbara said...

I love getting your updates and can feel your excitement! Sounds like you are having a blast and not missing out on much. Enjoy!

Connie said...

You're quite the prolific writer!! Mags can't wait till you visit them in Poland.
xo

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.